This post contains affiliate links. Please read our affiliate disclosure policy.
Thank you to everyone who sent in their questions on Instagram — I love hearing from all of you and I wish I could answer every question. Answering five of the most asked below :)
FYI I will be doing this at the end of every month so make sure you’re following my personal account on Instagram @jessegolden and subscribe to my email list HERE so you don't miss your question potentially being answered!
TOP 5 QUESTIONS
Q1: I have oily skin so I don't wear oils. Is this correct?
This is one of the biggest misconceptions in skincare and one that I believe was created to keep people in vicious skincare cycles. Simple chemistry teaches us that Like Dissolves Like. So using the right oils will actually benefit you.
See, at TGS we believe in using ingredients that are biocompatible with your skin. Synergistically working together to balance it. Most products either destroy the acid mantle or clog the skin barrier, but the right ingredients restore the delicate balance of your skin. Most people with oily or even acne-prone skin think that if they dry their skin out, it will solve the problem, but it’s quite the opposite. Drying your skin out actually makes your skin overcompensate and want to create more oil in order to protect it. Our skin needs those natural oils for it to do its job.
Stripping the skin of its natural oils only leaves it vulnerable to environmental factors, sun spots, acne, inflammation, and premature aging. It’s actually known that people with more oil in their skin age more gracefully and people lacking certain oils in their skin are more prone to acne so balance is key and every TGS product is perfectly formulated so that your skin can finally thrive, heal and glow once and for all.
For acne-prone skin, I recommend our Heal All Oil. If your focus is more on age-defying then I would go for the Youth Beauty Face Oil. Using both of these together is ideal. Heal All Oil to cleanse, moisturize and spot treat and Youth Beauty Face Oil at night. Don’t skip Aura Beauty Mist. This is one of the most important steps prior to applying your oil.
Q2: Are all your oils safe during pregnancy?
I just launched a new product called Womb Wisdom - designed to take a woman through the three phases of her life; maiden, mother, and crone. It is the first truly-safe pregnancy body oil formulated with stable fatty oils to nurture and support all the phases of a woman's cycles, especially the most delicate ones. It comes in a large 120ml pump for easy application and can be a new staple on your counter to encourage moments of self-love and massage. It blows my mind to see the products out there that are marketed toward pregnant women and filled with toxic preservatives, rancid oils, and synthetic fragrances. These are all things that TGS never has in their products, no matter what phase of life you are in.
The only product that is definitely not pregnancy safe is our Goddess Shaping Body Oil, which we clearly state on our website and packaging as it is a detoxifying body oil.
Saying that I used many of my products throughout my pregnancy. The use of natural, organic oils and pregnancy can be controversial depending on who you ask, and this isn't due to the necessary dangers as it is so much the lack of data because nobody is willing to test on pregnant women. But plant botanicals have safely been used since ancient times to support women, especially during their most important times.
I have written an entire blog post on this subject where you can learn more info, see a complete list, and also look at the (NAHA) National Association for Holistic Aromatherapy list.
Q3: I want to live a cleaner lifestyle but don't know where to start.
This is really the premise for my book, The Golden Secrets to Optimal Health. I would get asked this question all the time and I wanted to have a place where I could send people. Where they wouldn’t get overwhelmed and could easily start making small changes in a constructive, healthy way.
Q4: What are your top tips for optimal health?
1) Stay as close to nature as possible. The further we stray from her, the worse off we will be. Get outside, breathe in different biomes, eat natural foods, wear natural fabrics and of course, use natural self-care and skincare products.
2) Get vital life energy moving through your body every day. Walk, lift weights, stretch, practice yoga, pilates, and hike. Do whatever you need to to get your blood flowing. It does not need to be excessive every day. Quite the contrary. Listen to what your body needs. Especially if you are a woman- honor the cycle and phase that you are in. Sometimes a nice stretch and some body gua sha is plenty; other days, you might want to go all out and challenge yourself.
3) Quality of life. Check your daily routines, your daily habits, the people you surround yourself with, and the people you follow. All of these things determine your quality of life. If you are unhappy with a part of your life, begin making some changes to improve it. It’s in those little subtle changes that make the significant changes overall.
Q5: How do you handle anxiety?
1) Nuvita CBD is a consistent go-to for me. Use code: BEGOLDEN to get a discount.
2) 4-7-8 breathing: Inhale for 4, hold for 7, and exhale for 8 all through the nose.
3) Be where your feet are. Simply look down at your feet to get into your body & into the present moment.
5) Go through the 5 senses: Sight - find something to focus on. Sound - pay attention to the sounds you are hearing. Smell - take a deep breath & see what you smell. Taste - enjoy something you can taste. Touch -feel something nearby.
6) EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique) - Tapping is a self-help technique that was developed by Gary Craig in the 1990s. It involves tapping near the end points of energy meridians in order to reduce tension & promote a deeper mind-body connection. I often use this technique to reduce & let go of the pain I am holding onto in the body. I truly believe EFT will become another common mindfulness technique, much as meditation & yoga have in the last decade.